F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
Are you ready for your next challenge?
Our vision is to create novel and highly differentiated medicines. To this end, we discover and develop novel therapeutic antibodies and next generation biologics, such as bispecific antibodies, fusion proteins or AAV vectors for gene therapy. Our ambition is to deliver such novel molecules to patients with game changing clinical benefit.
We are looking for a Scientist in Synthetic Biology/Gene Therapy (m/f/d) with a keen interest in the fields of rAAV gene therapies. You will join the department of Cell Technologies, which belongs to a unit called Large Molecule Research within Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED).
This position therefore offers the opportunity to interact with numerous functions within Roche also at different sites to deliver novel medicines to patients.
Your team in a nutshell:
You will be part of ambitious matrix teams, which drive different rAAV gene therapy projects of the Synthetic Biology program in Targeted Modalities (TMo). These teams involve Roche colleagues with different expertise and level (e.g. students, lab technicians, scientists and project managers). Each voice is valued and we highly appreciate contribution of different perspectives that often leads to innovative solutions for our challenging projects.
The job in a nutshell:
Your work focuses on development and application of synthetic biology tools for cell engineering and rAAV vector engineering. You have a strong background in ML-guided barcoded library generation & screening to run design-build-test-learn cycles for engineering & optimization of genetic elements.
The main tasks of this position:
• DESIGN: You will design rAAV gene libraries using computational tools based on your deep understanding of how to connect genetic/RNA/protein elements to create synthetic systems that are functional in mammalian cells.
• BUILD: You will apply cutting-edge genome editing and other cell engineering technologies to generate tailor-made cell lines for assays, production and screening.
• TEST: You will use existing and establish new functional readouts, e.g. FACS, reporter cell systems, microfluidic systems and NGS, to select for desired cell populations and isolate desired DNA sequences.
• LEARN: You will use state-of-the-art data analysis software but also apply self-written scripts (e.g. R / Python or others) to analyze and consolidate large data sets that support informed or ML-guided decision-making for the next design cycle.
You will be responsible to map standardized biological parts and process large data sets to fit into our IT infrastructure.
This is also very important for us:
Team player: you are passionate about building strong teams. In your teams, everyone shares the success while setbacks are viewed as an opportunity to learn.Communication and networking: You know how to proactively build bridges and how to network in a big organization.
Being courageous: you tackle difficult issue with confidence and you hold things together during tough times.
Organizational awareness: you see the big picture and have a clear understanding of other groups business needs.
Continuous learning: you enjoy the challenges of unfamiliar tasks to continuously learn new things. You seek novel approaches to solve problems and to challenge the status quo.
Presentation skills: you know how to present in a clear and convincing way in front of big audiences and management boards.
And the technical requirements for this position?
• A strong background in cutting-edge technologies for generation & screening of barcoded libraries is necessary for this position. Ideally in the context of rAAV gene therapies
• A University degree in biotechnology, synthetic biology or similar area including PhD helps you to fulfill those tasks
• Ideally, you have already applied your programming skills to analyze large data sets or have used machine learning approaches to tackle biological questions
• Expertise in molecular biology (e.g. plasmid design, gene switches, RNA engineering, library design & transformation, DNA sequencing) and cell engineering (transfection, CRISPRa/i, gene tagging) is required. Experience in the following techniques and readouts are desired: FACS analysis, microfluidic devices, cell culture automation and NGS
• We can trust in your project management skills
• Fluent English language skills are natural to you
• Strong IT and data analysis skills as well
For your application, please keep it simple. We only ask you for an updated CV. A motivation letter is also not needed. However, please let us get to know you by submitting a short essay (max. half a page) exposing the meaning the following topic has to you:
Mindset, scientific community, organizational setup and/or modern technologies: What does it need to build an innovative working environment?
This position is limited to 2 years.
To make the application process as convenient as possible for you please add only your updated CV. References and certificates are not required at this stage.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Your contact to us! With people. For people.
Do you need more support?
Our Talent Acquisition Team welcomes your questions. Please send an email to email@example.com
Who we are
At Roche, more than 100,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, weve become one of the worlds leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Roche at Penzberg, near Munich, employs more than 5,000 people. The site is one of the largest biotechnology centers in Europe and the only Roche site with research, development and production for both Pharmaceuticals and Diagnostics under one roof. From your beginning with Roche, our motivated team will welcome and support you. Numerous opportunities for personal development, flexible work hours, attractive compensation packages and special family assistance programs are available.
Roche is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit www.google.com.